Sunday, August 30, 2015

Overview

This class caught my attention just because my background is from India and I've always wanted to learn more about the folk tales and epics of India.  I know that India has a bunch of history when it comes to its lore and I've always been interested in the stories.  When I was a small child, My grandma would tell me stories during bedtime and I always found them very interesting. My grandma would even get me books made for children about the different gods and their upbringings.  I read the description of the class and I thought this would be great because it is something that I would want to read.
Growing up, my parents always told me that this is Krishna, but when I went through the pictures in the Indian Epics Image site, it showed that his name was Ram. I'm not completely sure if they are in fact both the same entity, or if they are two different ones.

1 comment:

  1. That is a lovely picture of Krishna, and the flute is a real give-away. Rama is often shown as blue also, as is Krishna (the name Krishna itself means dark, including dark-blue)... but Rama is not the great fluteplayer. That would be Krishna! Rama and Krishna are such huge contrasts, even though they are both incarnations of the god Vishnu. You can focus in the second half of the semester on all the legends associated with Krishna; the adventures of his life make up what could be considered an epic of their own! There is lots more about Krishna here:
    Wikipedia: Krishna

    ReplyDelete